Grilled beef tacos
Grilled beef tacos, salsa roja & pickled red onion
Preparation time1 hour 30 minutes
Winery pairingGrand Cordon Rosé
1 flank steak
- 400g cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 Serrano chili pepper(s)
- 1 red onion
- 20g fresh cilantro (you can use more, according to taste)
- 2 tablespoonfuls lime juice
Pickled Red Onion
- 1 red onion
- 100ml white vinegar
- 1 tablespoonful coarse salt
- 3 tablespoonfuls sugar
- 230g nixtamalized corn flour
- 400ml tepid water
Step 1. Salsa Roja
- Preheat the grill and put the tomatoes and Serrano chili peppers into an oven dish.
- Roast them until they turn black in places, for about 5 minutes. Turn over the tomatillos. Continue to roast them for about 4 minutes. Tip the onion, cilantro, garlic, salt and 2 tablespoonfuls of lime juice into a blender or food processor.
- Add the roast tomatoes and chili peppers to the food processor, then mix until a smooth texture is obtained, taking care to scrape the sides from time to time.
- Correct the seasoning with salt and lime juice.
Step 2. Pickled Red Onion
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Put the salt, sugar and vinegar into a saucepan and bring to the boil, then turn off the heat.
- Next put the onions into a 250ml-jar and add the tepid vinegar, then wait 24h before using them.
Step 3. Corn Tortilla
- Mix the corn flour and water in a bowl. Knead until a homogeneous ball is obtained.
- Cover with a damp cloth. Preheat a hotplate to medium heat.
- Using a tortilla press or a dish, place a dough ball approximately 4cm in diameter between the two plastic disks and press on them to form a round tortilla approximately 15cm in size.
- Put the tortilla onto the hotplate and cook for 45 sec. The edge should start to dry slightly.
- Turn it over and continue to cook for 1 min until small brown marks form. Turn it over again and leave to cook for another 15 sec.
Step 4. Plating-Up
Add salt and pepper to the flank steak, and cook it in a hot, oiled frying pan for 2 min on each side. Slice it and put a few slices on the tortillas, then top with salsa and add a few pickled onions and your choice of shoots.
Discover the cuvéeDiscover the cuvée
Mumm Grand Cordon Rosé is a perfect champagne to savour. Inspiring and intense, it can be enjoyed on its own or paired with a range of creative and modern dishes.