Cherry plums, cream & chocolate
Cherry plums in syrup, diplomat cream & chocolate crumble
Preparation Time20 minutes
Winery PairingGrand Cordon
Cherry Plums in Syrup
- 800g cherry plums
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 600g brown sugar
- 1L water
- 2 gelatin sheets
- 250g milk
- 50g sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 25g corn starch
- ½ teaspoonful vanilla powder
- 20g butter
- 200g cold heavy cream
- 80g wheat flour
- 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 50g crushed hazelnuts
- 125g granulated sugar
- 125g soft unsalted butter
Step 1. Cherry Plums in Syrup
Boil the water with the sugar and lemon juice in a large saucepan on a low heat for 5 min and add the cherry plums for 10 min.
Step 2. Diplomat Cream
- Soak the gelatine sheets in a bowl of cold water.
- Put the milk and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to the boil.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a hemispherical mixing bowl. Add the sieved corn starch. Filter the milk and pour a third of the hot milk onto the egg, sugar and starch mixture to dilute it. Add the rest, then pour into the saucepan. Cook it to thicken the cream, stirring constantly.
- Away from the heat, add the dried-off gelatine, then leave to cool a little before blending in the pieces of butter.
- Pour into a hemispherical mixing bowl and leave to cool, stirring from time to time.
- Beat the cold cream until it doubles in volume and the whisk leaves marks in the cream. You should have the consistency of chantilly cream.
- Gently blend in the whipped cream with a spatula. Pour the diplomat cream obtained into a piping bag. Put into the fridge for 10 min.
Step 3. Chocolate Crumble
- Prepare the crumble mixture by cutting the butter into small cubes in a salad bowl.
- Tip the wheat flour, hazelnuts, cocoa powder and superfine sugar into it.
- Knead everything with your fingers for a few minutes until a gritty, crumbly mixture is obtained.
- Put into the oven at 180°C for 30 min.
Step 4. Plating-up
- Put the cream and few cherry plums onto a plate with the syrup and crumble.
- Garnish with a few flower petals.
Mumm Grand Cordon
Toasting milestones, personal achievements or simply celebrating friendship with an improvised get-together, the exceptional fresh intensity of Mumm Grand Cordon champagne evokes the exhilaration of life’s most unforgettable moments.